Our Services

At this field station we offer the following public services by appointment:

  • America the Beautiful Passes
  • Season fishing pass for $60
  • Special Use Permit
  • Special Use Permit - Commercial Photography

Please call the Visitor Center at 303-289-0930 for details and to schedule an appointment. Please note the Visitor Center is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. All passes and permits sales are cash and check only; sorry, we cannot process debit or credit cards. Please see the information below about Special Use Permits.

Special Use Permits

Apply for a Special Use Permit

The National Wildlife Refuge System has Special Use Permit (SUP) Applications to enable the public to engage in permitted activities on a national wildlife refuge national wildlife refuge
A national wildlife refuge is typically a contiguous area of land and water managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service  for the conservation and, where appropriate, restoration of fish, wildlife and plant resources and their habitats for the benefit of present and future generations of Americans.

Learn more about national wildlife refuge
. Some commercial, recreational and research activities are allowed on national wildlife refuges only with a special use permit issued by the local office and are subject to specific conditions and fees.

These forms are available in a fillable format: https://www.fws.gov/service/special-use-permits-national-wildlife-refuges

For detailed information: Commercial Photography and Filming Special Use Permits Information

Which form do I need?

Commercial Activities Special Use Permit Application (FWS Form 3-1383-C) for
  • Commercial activities such as guiding interpretation, anglers, or other outdoor users
  • Commercial filming (audio, video, and photographic products of a monetary value)
Research and Monitoring Special Use Permit Application (FWS Form 3-1383-R) for
  • Research and monitoring activities by students, universities, or other non-FWS organizations
General Activity Special Use Permit Application (FWS Form 3-1383-G) for
  • Miscellaneous events (fishing tournaments, one-time events, other special events)
  • Education activity
  • Other (any activity not mentioned above)

Prospective permit holders may fill out the corresponding application and return it to the refuge for processing. Please allow at least two weeks for permit processing.

Fall and Deer Rut Photography Permits:
Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge is moving towards a defined application window for Commercial Activities Special Use Permits for Fall 2024.

Commercial Special Use Permit Applications for October 1st - December 31st 2024 must be received by September 1, 2024. Due to increase in demand and interest, each individual or organization will be limited to 7 days total. Applicants should indicate date preferences as well as alternates. Applicants will be informed of their status by September 15th. 

By email: rockymountainarsenal@fws.gov

By mail:
Rocky Mountain Arsenal NWR HQ
6550 Gateway Road
Commerce City, CO 80022

The permit is not valid until approved and signed by a refuge official.