Purchasing Federal Duck Stamps is easy! We offer a variety of methods for you to purchase the annual stamp – whether you need one for migratory bird hunting, admittance to a National Wildlife Refuge, as part of your stamp or art collection, to showcase the wildlife species, or because you want an easy and effective way to support habitat conservation.
The annual Federal Duck Stamp goes on sale at the end of June. A “First Day of Issue” event is often held to celebrate the artists, purchasers, and conservation partners.
Who Needs It?
Anyone can contribute to wildlife habitat conservation by purchasing a Federal Duck Stamp. Since quality wetland habitats provide habitat for a myriad of species – including threatened and endangered plants and animals – as well as provide clean water, aid in flood control, and reduce the effects of soil erosion and sedimentation a current Federal Duck Stamp purchase allows you to be an active conservationist. Healthy habitats also enhance outdoor recreation opportunities which can provide an economic incentive to local communities.
Migratory Bird Hunters (primarily duck and goose hunters) at or over the age of 16 must possess a current signed Federal Duck Stamp, along with state licenses and permits, to hunt legally. An E-stamp allows you to purchase a stamp online and immediately use the certification to legally hunt for 45-days while your physical stamp is mailed to you.
Stamp and wildlife art collectors add to their valuable collections and support conservation at the same time. As the longest running, single-themed stamp in the world, Federal Duck Stamps are first and foremost miniature works of art. The design itself is chosen each year in the only open juried art competition sponsored by the federal government. Artists can also become contributors to conservation through this unique opportunity.
- You can purchase your stamp either online or in person
- To purchase in person, check with your local post office, sporting goods or outdoor recreation stores, or any national wildlife refuge national wildlife refuge
A national wildlife refuge is typically a contiguous area of land and water managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for the conservation and, where appropriate, restoration of fish, wildlife and plant resources and their habitats for the benefit of present and future generations of Americans.
Learn more about national wildlife refuge to see if they have them in stock
- If you need a federal duck stamp temporary certificate IMMEDIATELY for migratory bird hunting you MUST purchase an “E-Stamp” from one of the States below *Please note: you may purchase an E-Stamp from any state, even though you are not a resident of that state
If you do not need an E-Stamp and can wait 10-20 days for your stamp to arrive in the mail, you can purchase hunting and collectible federal duck stamps and other stamp products by calling or going online to Amplex or the Postal Store *Please note: you must have the physical stamp in hand to be legal for hunting; a sales receipt from Amplex or the Postal Store is not legal to hunt with
Sign your stamp if you use it for hunting or entry into a USFWS fee area
Share with your friends and family that you support wildlife habitat conservation
Visit a National Wildlife Refuge in your area and see your Duck Stamp Dollars at work
Process to Purchase E-Stamps
*Please note: you do not need to purchase a hunting license or be a migratory bird hunter to purchase an E-stamp. You may purchase an E-Stamp from any state without being a resident of that state. For example, you can purchase a stamp from any of the states below, even though you live in Oregon.
To purchase from a state website below:
- Click on any state below
- Create an account or log in if you are already enrolled with that state *Please note: enrollment and purchase processes vary - please follow the prompts and instructions provided on the state website; please ensure you have included your current full mailing address where required
- Once you have your account, you can purchase a Federal Duck Stamp through the state’s website. Convenience fees will be added to your bill.
States that sell E-Stamps
Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming
Purchase from one of the above state websites if you need a federal duck stamp temporary certificate immediately. It is good for migratory bird hunting for up to 45 days (physical stamp, good through June 30, it should be mailed within 20 days)
Suzanne Fellows, Duck Stamp Program Manager
Migratory Bird Program
- Additional Roles: Duck Stamp Sales, E-stamp Information for State Wildlife Agencies, Junior Duck Stamp Program, Duck Stamp and Junior Duck Stamp Events, Art Contest
- Expertise: Duck Stamps, Junior Duck Stamps