Questions & Answers

Frequently Asked Questions

Our customer service call center at 1-800-344-WILD (1-800-344-9453) assists the public with their fish and wildlife questions Monday through Friday. Here are some of the questions we get asked most often.

What is the status of my CITES permit?

For all CITES-related inquiries or permitting questions, contact the Division of Management Authority:

How do I import or export wildlife parts or products?

Visit the Office of Law Enforcement for information on import and export.

How do I import or export my dog or cat?

The Fish and Wildlife Service has no jurisdiction over the importation of domestic pets such as dogs and cats.  For information on this and other issues, contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

What can I do with my ivory?

Where do I find information on migratory bird permits?

Where do I find information about National Wildlife Refuges or hatcheries?

For refuge- or hatchery-specific information, please contact that local site.

  • Find a nearby facility then go to the "Contact Us" link (located on the left-hand side of the page). If no email is provided, please call the facility directly.  
  • Local conditions, hours of operation, and regulations vary widely. Contact the location for details.
  • Most sites are open from sunrise to sunset daily. Ask locally for operating times for buildings and visitor centers.
  • Refuge staff will handle quota hunts, permits, field trips, and other reservations.
  • U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service visitor centers are typically staffed by volunteers.  

Can I bring my dog on refuge lands?

In general, dogs are not permitted (50 CFR 26.21(b)), but a few sites are exceptions, make sure to check locally. Service animals are allowed, in accordance with the ADA, but must be leashed. 

We recommend checking self-service kiosks or at the visitor's center during a visit to learn more about refuge-specific regulations or policies. 

How do I obtain a Federal Recreation Land Pass?

Find information about Federal Recreation Land Passes. Learn what the passes cover, what to do if a pass is lost, stolen or damaged, and where to purchase each pass.

How do I order eagle feathers and parts?

The permit application and order form can be found online on the Service's ePermits website.

For first time applicants (Mail in only): 

  1. Fill out Form 3-200-15A: Eagle Parts for Native American Religious Purposes.
  2. Have your tribal enrollment office fill out the “Certificate of Enrollment in a Federally Recognized Tribe" form 
  3. Submit all documentation directly to the Repository at 6550 Gateway Road, Bldg. 128, Commerce City, CO 80022 
  4. The Repository will process your permit application and, if approved, issue you a lifetime permit to possess eagles or parts (including feathers) from the Repository for religious purposes. 

Applicants may only have one pending order at any given time. 

For Reorders: 

  1. Applicants do not have to have their tribal office fill out another Certificate of Enrollment form 
  2. Submit completed form directly to the Repository either electronically or by mail 

Applicants may only have one pending request on file at any given time.  

The Repository will notify you by mail that your reorder has been received and is in processing. 

What is the status of my Native American eagle parts and feathers order?

  • If you know the date received of your request, please use the current wait time list to lookup the approximate time frame for fulfillment. 
  • If your order is in unreachable status or you have not updated your information and you have since moved or relocated, please contact the repository as soon as possible. 
  • If the repository is unable to reach the applicant to fill the order, your order will not go to the bottom of the list but will be put on hold until the Repository is able to verify the order with the applicant directly. 
  • If you do not know the date received of your request, please contact the Repository by email at with “Status Check” in your subject line. This will help the staff find your email and reply sooner. Or, you can reach the Repository by phone at 303-287-2110.

What is the wait time for the Repository to fill orders?

The demand for eagles, parts, and feathers is high, and supplies are limited. The time needed to fill requests will vary depending on the items ordered and as the inventory permits. Visit the Eagle Repository Document Collection for estimated time frames and various related documents (The wait times list is updated quarterly). 

How do I order eagle parts and feathers while incarcerated?

Only enrolled members of Federally recognized tribes who are 18 years of age or older may apply to receive and possess eagle carcasses, parts, and feathers from the Repository for religious purposes. The Eagle Repository can only provide what the correctional facility will allow. You must contact the facility’s religious coordinator or chaplain to find out what is allowed before submitting an application or reorder. 

How do I report wildlife crime?

How do I report an injured animal or bird?

If you come across an injured, dead, or abandoned animal or bird, or if you have any issues with animals in your locality:

Where do I report a dead bald eagle?

  • If you are not a wildlife official or permitted by USFWS to salvage eagles, please report a deceased eagle or eagle parts/feathers to your state wildlife management agency.
  • Do not attempt to salvage an eagle carcass or any parts/feathers. For more information visit the Migratory Bird Permit - Living Around Birds.

How to remove Canada geese from my property?

Landowners, homeowner’s associations, public land managers, or local governments in the lower 48 states or the District of Columbia, may register for federal authorization to destroy resident Canada goose nests and eggs on property under their jurisdiction when necessary to resolve or prevent injury to people, property, agricultural crops, or other interests. The order does not authorize the killing of any migratory bird species or the destruction of any nests or eggs other than those of resident Canada geese. Further information can be found at the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service website.

How do I remove bird nest?

Birds often make nests in inconvenient places in backyards or on property such as boats and equipment. It's important to know that most songbirds and migratory birds are protected under federal and state law, including their nests and eggs. You need a permit to disturb a nest, and heavy fines may be imposed for moving or disturbing a nest.  Permits are seldom granted even in an inconvenient location. Seek assistance from local organizations to confirm if the birds are protected and for more information on what to do.  For information about permits and the process contact your Regional Migratory Bird Office.

What do I if I have ducks in my pool?

What do I do if I find woodpecker damaging my house?

For information on woodpecker damaging your house.

What do I do if I have roosting vultures on my property?

How do I report violations of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act?

  • If you believe you have information related to the violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and know these violations occurred outside of a permit, email information about where and when it occurred, along with what you witnessed to 
  • If you are seeking information on permit holders, please file a Freedom of Information Act Request.

How do I use the National Wetlands Inventory and Mapper?

How do I obtain Ecological Services or learn about endangered species?

Your closest Ecological Services Field Office or Fish and Wildlife Conservation Office can advise you regarding:

  • Endangered species on or near your property
  • Land assessment
  • Land developers and the requirements for companies
  • Species identification
  • Permits for special projects

Find the nearest Conservation Office then go to the "Contact Us" link for that site (located on the left-hand side of the page). 

How do I apply for a job or internship?

How do I volunteer?