Skip to main content
Facility Rules and Policies
- Visitors access the refuge via gravel and one lane paved roads. Once on the Refuge two-tracked mowed trails provide interior access. Visitors must maintain the posted speed limit of 35 miles per hour on gravel and pavement.
- Parking is allowed in designated parking areas only.
- No overnight parking is allowed on the Refuge.
- Hiking is allowed in all areas open to the public.
- Wildlife observation and photography are encouraged.
- Please stay out of closed areas to minimize disturbance to plants and animals.
- Please visit the Sport Fishing page for fishing information.
- Only non-motorized boats and boats with electric motors are permitted.
- Gasoline or other internal combustion engines are prohibited. If these types of motors are permanently affixed or built into the boat, they must be temporarily rendered inoperable by removing gas tanks, batteries, etc.
- Sport hunting is permitted on the Refuge in accordance with all state and federal regulations. Hunters should consult the Nebraska state hunting regulations. Special refuge hunting regulations also apply.
- Firearms and other weapons are subject to state law. At all times, persons possessing, transporting, or carrying firearms on National Wildlife Refuge System lands must comply with all provisions of State and local law. Persons may only use (discharge) firearms in accordance with refuge regulations (50 CFR 27.42 and specific refuge regulations in 50 CFR Part 32), i.e., only during the lawful pursuit of game during legal seasons.
- Other prohibitions on the Refuge are dogs off-leash (except during legitimate hunting seasons); off-road vehicles; and collecting of plants, animals, antlers, minerals, and artifacts.