Skip to main content
Laws and Regulations
- Refuge public use is limited to daylight hours only.
- Hiking is allowed in all areas open to the public.
- Horseback riding is allowed on signed Refuge public access routes open to motor vehicles. Also, horses are allowed for deer hunting retrieval and photography.
- Off road/trail vehicle use is prohibited. Licensed motor vehicles may be operated on county roads and mowed trails only.
- Parking is allowed in designated parking areas only. No overnight parking is allowed.
- Please stay out of closed areas to minimize disturbance to plants and animals.
- Gates must be left as they are found, opened or closed.
- Several sand trails require the use of four wheel drive vehicles. These trails are signed and enforced as such.
- Pets must be leashed, except hunting dogs used for bird hunting purposes during appropriate hunting seasons.
- Possession of alcohol is prohibited.
- Please visit the Fishing page for fishing information.
- Only non-motorized boats and boats with electric motors are permitted.
- Sport hunting is permitted on the Refuge in accordance with all state and federal regulations. Hunters should consult the Nebraska state hunting regulations. Special refuge hunting regulations also apply.
- Firearms and other weapons are subject to state law. At all times, persons possessing, transporting, or carrying firearms on National Wildlife Refuge System lands must comply with all provisions of State and local law. Persons may only use (discharge) firearms in accordance with refuge regulations (50 CFR 27.42 and specific refuge regulations in 50 CFR Part 32), i.e., only during the lawful pursuit of game during legal seasons.