Laws and Regulations
General Refuge Regulations
- Abide by all posted signs. Signs may change seasonally to reflected updated closures and regulations.
- No stopping or parking a vehicle on Refuge roads. Please use pullouts provided.
- Refuge road access at night is for thru traffic only. All parking areas are closed after sunset.
- No camping, night parking, campfires, or warming fires.
- No drones.
- No off-road or off-designated path travel.
- No collecting or transporting any natural product, including shed antlers, from the Refuge.
Winter wildlife closures
From December 1 - April 30, a significant portion of roads on the National Elk Refuge close for wintering wildlife. This includes the Curtis Canyon and Flat Creek Roads.
Are you a shed hunter? While no areas on the Refuge are open to antler collection, the public is allowed to access the adjacent National Forest areas to search for antlers between May 1 - November 30. Due to an overwhelming public interest in this activity, the Town of Jackson has strict guidance on how to participate. Information on participation will be posted late-winter 2023.
Please visit the hunting section of our website.
Please visit the fishing section of our website.
Other Federal Register Notices, Laws, Treaties, and Regulations
Please note, this is not an exhaustive list.