Our over-sand vehicle zones are managed by Assateague Island National Seashore.
- The South Zone is for general use.
- The North Zone is for fishing only and is open seasonally (March 15 - August 31st).
- In the event of hazardous driving conditions these zones may temporarily close for your protection.
- In order to protect threatened and endangered species, the hook in the South Zone is closed to all access from March 15 - August 31, or until the last nesting shorebird can fly.
- This permit is intended to provided additional access only. Cutting circles, needlessly defacing the beach and driving on sand dunes or in vegetated areas--except at posted crossings--is prohibited at all times.
- You can purchase a permit at Toms Cove Visitor Center (757) 336-6577 (dial 2, then 1).
- Assateague Island National Seashore’s website provides full details about this activity.