Our Services

At this field station we offer the following public services:

  • BuyDuck Stamps & America the Beautiful Passes 
  • Recreation
  • Special Use Permits


Special use permits are required for certain activities on our refuge. These activities will fall under one of three categories, each with a separate application form - general special use, research, or commercial activities. Scroll down to locate the appropriate form for your request. The fillable application must be submitted in the timeframe indicated to receive consideration. Submitting and application does not guarantee approval. Your permit is not valid until approved and signed by a refuge official.

Send all requests to: 

Laurel Wilkerson
Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge
8231 Beach Road
Chincoteague, VA 23336
757-336-6122 x2310

General Special Use Activities

This form is used to request environmental education fee waivers, wedding permits, and requests for any other activity not listed on this page. We must receive your general special use activity request at least 2 weeks’ prior to your planned activity.

Environmental Education Fee Waiver Requests

Environmental education fee waivers will be approved for educational groups visiting strictly for educational purposes. Groups who also intend to participate in recreational activities such as visiting the beach must pay the entrance fee. Examples of educational groups include: schools, scout groups, nonprofit organizations.

Wedding Permit Requests

Couples wishing to have a wedding ceremony on the recreational beach (managed by the National Park Service) must submit a request and, if approved, follow any specific stipulations needed to avoid disturbance to wildlife or other priority public uses.

Send all requests to: 

Haley Blizzard
(410) 629-6603
(Email is preferred.)

Research & Monitoring Permits

We encourage research and studies that assist in answering management questions to enhance wildlife and their habitats on our refuge when authorized via a Special Use Permit. Priority will be given to studies applicable to management on or nearby the refuge. Proposals must demonstrate that the study will not have an adverse effect on wildlife or habitat.

Commercial Activities

A special use permit is required for all commercial operations on national wildlife refuges, including any activities for which participants pay a fee for any services rendered or goods delivered on refuge lands. Depending upon your activity, there may be multiple layers of approval required for a commercial use permit. Make sure you follow the guidance below to ensure that your Commercial Activity Request can be processed prior to your arrival. 


If you are hoping to conduct a workshop on our refuge, your request must be received at least 2 weeks prior to your arrival date.