At this field station we offer the following public services:
Special use permits are required for certain activities on our refuge. These activities will fall under one of three categories, each with a separate application form - general special use, research, or commercial activities. Scroll down to locate the appropriate form for your request. The fillable application must be submitted in the timeframe indicated to receive consideration. Submitting and application does not guarantee approval. Your permit is not valid until approved and signed by a refuge official.
Send all requests to:
Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge
8231 Beach Road
Chincoteague, VA 23336
You can also contact Michael Dixon with further questions Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
This form is used to request environmental education fee waivers, wedding permits, and requests for any other activity not listed on this page. We must receive your general special use activity request at least 2 weeks’ prior to your planned activity.
Environmental Education Fee Waiver Requests
Environmental education fee waivers will be approved for educational groups visiting strictly for educational purposes. Groups who also intend to participate in recreational activities such as visiting the beach must pay the entrance fee. Examples of educational groups include: schools, scout groups, nonprofit organizations.
Wedding Permit Requests
Couples wishing to have a wedding ceremony on the refuge must submit a request and, if approved, follow any specific stipulations needed to avoid disturbance to wildlife or other priority public uses.
- Weddings are only allowed on the recreational beach.
- Your ceremony cannot interfere with other public use activities. So, we recommend parking lot 1 or the last parking lot before the Over Sand Vehicle Zone.
- Props like music, archway, and aisle runners are allowed.
- Only shade canopies, not larger than 10 feet by 10 feet are allowed.
- Artificial/silk flowers only for decoration.
- Real flowers are allowed in bouquets.
- Ceremonial props are allowed to be in place 1 hour before the ceremony and must be removed within 1 hour after the ceremony.
- Accommodations and seating for people with special needs (elderly, physically disabled) may be granted.
- Any additional ceremony props will have to be approved before the wedding. We do not provide any props or assistance in setting up for weddings.
- No receptions are allowed after wedding.
- The wedding permit is free of charge but the refuge entrance fees for you and your guest still apply.
- The best time to have your wedding is May – September. Our highest visitation occurs around the July 4th holiday and is not a recommended choice. Since the summer months are also our busiest tourist season, we strongly recommend a sunrise or sunset wedding.
- Please note that request can only be made up to 3 months in advance.
We encourage research and studies that assist in answering management questions to enhance wildlife and their habitats on our refuge when authorized via a Special Use Permit. Priority will be given to studies applicable to management on or nearby the refuge. Proposals must demonstrate that the study will not have an adverse effect on wildlife or habitat.
- Contact Kevin Holcomb if you have questions.
- All Research and Monitoring Permit Requests must be received at least 45 days prior to the proposed research date.
A special use permit is required for all commercial operations on national wildlife refuges, including any activities for which participants pay a fee for any services rendered or goods delivered on refuge lands. Depending upon your activity, there may be multiple layers of approval required for a commercial use permit. Make sure you follow the guidance below to ensure that your Commercial Activity Request can be processed prior to your arrival.
If you are hoping to conduct a workshop on our refuge, your request must be received at least 2 weeks prior to your arrival date.