The Western Washington Fish & Wildlife Conservation Office is part of a network of field stations located throughout the nation that works to conserve fish and aquatic resources. Over 300 biologists from the Arctic Circle to the Florida Keys monitor and control; protect imperiled species; evaluate native fish stocks and their habitats; and work with our partners to solve problems.
Our field stations provide technical assistance to tribes; conduct scientific studies into fishery problems; restore habitat through the National Fish Passage Program and the National Fish Habitat Action Plan; and collaborate with partners to conserve migratory fishes that cross multiple jurisdictions.
The mission of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.
The Fish and Wildlife Service programs are among the oldest in the world dedicated to natural resource conservation. Our history traces back to 1871 with the formation of the U.S. Commission on Fish and Fisheries in the Department of Commerce and the Division of Economic Ornithology and Mammalogy in the Department of Agriculture.
The Western Washington Fish and Wildlife Conservation Office was established in 1970 and originally located in Olympia. While the name (originally a "Fisheries Assistance Office") and location changed through the years, we have remained committed to conserving fish and aquatic populations by restoring habitat and informing management decisions through our research and evaluations. This office became part of the Puget Sound/Olympic Peninsula Fisheries Complex in 2016.
Other Facilities in this Complex
The Western Washington Fish and Wildlife Conservation Office is part of the Puget Sound/Olympic Peninsula Fisheries Complex, which also includes the Makah, Quilcene, and Quinault National Fish Hatcheries.