Welcome to Erwin National Fish Hatchery
- Established: 1894
- Number of staff: Five
- Three strains of rainbow trout
Public Use Opportunities:
- More than 40,000 visitors annually
- Hatchery tours
- Visitor center
- Picnic pavilion
- Unicoi Co. Heritage Museum
- Wildlife viewing area
- Produce 13 million disease-free eggs annually for Federal, state, and tribal hatcheries to support their fishery management efforts. This hatchery also provides eggs to research centers and universities
- Assists tribal governments in managing fisheries resources on tribal lands
- Supports projects to enhance federal fish and wildlife trust species and their habitats in the Southern Appalachian Ecosystem, in which this hatchery is located.
- Provides environmental education whenever possible
- Develop and maintain partnerships with chambers of commerce, state tourist organizations, congressional staffs, and other non-governmental organizations in order to promote regional support for the fish hatchery
- Maintain a good working relationship with the Unicoi Co. Heritage Museum which is located on the grounds of the fish hatchery
Happy Rainbow Trout Broodfish. Photo: N Heil, USFWS.
Egg Incubation System. Photo: N Heil, USFWS.
January 26, 2017