Ways to Get Involved
Whether you want to further conservation, learn more about nature or share your love of the outdoors, you’ve come to the right place. National wildlife refuges provide many opportunities for you to help your community by doing what you love. National wildlife refuges partner with volunteers, youth groups, landowners, neighbors and residents of urban communities to make a lasting difference. Find out how you can help make American lands healthier and communities stronger while doing something personally satisfying.
Join the team! A job with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is perfect for anyone with determination, persistence, imagination – and a passion for conserving America's natural heritage.
Learn more on our careers page.
Agents of Discovery
Are you ready to explore the Refuge from your phone? You can play the Agents of Discovery missions at Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge! This mission begins outside of the visitor center at 2 Marshlands road Fremont CA 94555, and has challenges along the nature play area and the LaRiviere Marsh Trail.
If you want to test your luck at fishing, check out the Let's Go Fishing Mission at the Dumbarton Bridge fishing pier. To get to the fishing pier drive all the way down Marshlands Rd, the mission starts at the beginning of the Fishing Pier. This mission requires walking and a mobile device with internet access.
To play Agents of Discovery, follow these instructions:
- Download the Agents of Discovery app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Make sure your mobile device's GPS is enabled.
- Open the app. Login to your account, or create a new account if you are a new agent. You do not need an account to play, but you will need to create an account if you want to save a history of the missions you have completed.
- Tap "Missions" at the home screen.
- The app automatically finds the missions that are closest to your location. If you are at the refuge, the Don Edwards mission will automatically appear at the top.
- Open the mission you wish to accept.
- Mission "challenges" are GPS-triggered. As you move along the mission route, your mobile device will alert you when you get near the location of the next challenge.
- When a new challenge appears on your screen, tap to open it. You will learn fun facts about nature and wildlife, and then get a puzzle to solve.
- Solve all the challenges to complete the mission!
Agents of Discovery missions can be found at refuges, parks, nature centers, and museums all over the United States and Canada! Look for them when you travel, or visit the Agents of Discovery website for a list.
Bay Area Explorer Campaign
Nature does not recognize human-made boundaries. In order to conserve our natural and cultural resources effectively, we must work with others to bridge these boundaries. Partnerships foster creative solutions to challenging situations and often the results are greater than the sum of the parts. In the San Francisco Bay area, nature surrounds us, we invite you to join us there.
At Don Edwards San Francisco Bay NWR, we strive to offer opportunities for visitors to engage with refuge staff and participate in public programming.
Please visit our partners at the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society to see how you can get involved.
You can also find the refuge on Facebook, where many events, videos, and the latest information is shared.