Individuals responsible for assisting in the development of Habitat Conservation Plans.
Summary and Objectives:
This course addresses the basic steps and processes regarding Habitat Conservation Planning under Section 10(a)(1)(B) of the Endangered Species Act. Case studies and interactive exercises are used to reinforce lecture sessions.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the legal and policy background that forms the basis of Section 10(a)(1)(B) permit process.
- Describe the role of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Marine Fisheries Service, the applicant, and other parties in Section 10(a)(1)(B) process.
- Explain how to provide guidance in developing an HCP that meets statutory and biological requirements.
- Initiate and develop the Section 10(a)(1)(B) documents necessary to complete the HCP process.
- List permit processing steps, from submission of the application to permit issuance.
- Describe statutory permit issuance criteria and explain biological standards and Service and NMFS policies involved in the permit issuance decision.
- Identify post-issuance compliance and options for corrective actions; and * Explain relationships among HCPs, the National Environmental Policy Act, and .