Facility Rules and Policies
Our mission is the protection of wildlife and their habitat. Please check with Refuge management to inquire whether an activity is authorized.
- The operation of drones at the refuge is federally prohibited as it can disturb sensitive wildlife.
- Qualified service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act are allowed. Pets and therapy animals are not allowed.
- Maintain 10-foot distance from wild birds.
- Spreading of ashes is prohibited.
- No food or drink other than water.
- Smoking is prohibited.
- No amplified or loud music
- Walking into the Refuge is not permitted due to the steep and narrow driveway
As of March 2020, the Kāhili area of Kīlauea Point National Wildlife Refuge is closed to vehicular access due to dangerous road conditions from flood damage.
- Pets are allowed but must be on short leash per County ordinance. Please clean up after your pet.
- Fires are allowed in portable stoves only. Do not gather firewood.
- Fishing allowed in accordance with State of Hawai`i regulations.
- Trash must be packed out.
- No hunting or camping.
- No unauthorized commercial activity.
- No loud music, bright lights, or parties that could disturb wildlife.