Woman dressed warmly in camouflage and standing in marsh reeds aims a shotgun into the air

Hunting on the Wetland Management District is subject to Federal and State regulations and a Montana hunting license is required. Please consult the Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks Hunting Regulations for seasons, licenses, and bag limits.

Big Game Hunting

Mule deer and antelope are found throughout the District and numbers will vary from year to year. White-tailed deer and elk have been seen on some Waterfowl Production Areas but sightings are rare.

Waterfowl and Upland Bird Hunting

Waterfowl, sage grouse, sharp-tailed grouse and grey partridge can occur on the waterfowl production areas. Bird numbers fluctuate considerably from year-to-year, depending on winter survival, spring nesting conditions and water levels. Ring-necked pheasants can be found on the Clark’s Fork Waterfowl Production Area. Steel or Non-toxic shot is required on all WPAs.


Charles M. Russell Wetland Management District includes four waterfowl production areas (WPAs) in eastern Montana. Waterfowl hunting can be excellent on the wetlands in these areas. But hunters should check carefully before planning a trip here. During drought the wetlands dry up in the fall, and the waterfowl hunting is nonexistent. These areas do offer public hunting for all species open during Montana seasons, so there are opportunities to hunt even in dry years. The best bet is for sage grouse and sharp-tailed grouse that live in the grasslands along the wetlands. Hunters should plan on covering a lot of terrain to find these birds, which can be scattered over large areas. The use of well-trained dogs helps a great deal in covering the vast terrain in these areas.