A man waist deep in water holding a silver fish and his fishing rod

Most District wetlands are either within closed basins, are too intermittent in nature, or are too far away from perennial lakes, rivers, or streams to support fisheries. 

Clark’s Fork WPA supports carp in seasonal pools, but fishing is prohibited in the wetlands. Fishing is permitted on the Clark's Fork River that borders this WPA. The river provides excellent fishing for native and non-native trout species. Please consult the Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks Fishing Regulations for required licenses and harvest restrictions.

Fishing is permitted on Clark's Fork WPA and is subject to State fishing regulations. 


• Access into the WPAs is by foot only.

• Any boat use must be non-motorized and hand-carried to the water.

• Please park in the designated parking area.


• Fishing hours follow State regulations. 

Authorized Public Uses 

• WPAs are open to hunting, trapping, wildlife observation and wildlife photography. Clark's Fork WPA is also open to fishing.

Prohibited Activities

• Hunting, trapping, or killing any wildlife species, predatory or otherwise, not requiring either State regulations for taking, a license, and/or classified by the State under MCA 87-6-101 as "non-game species". Such species include, but are not limited to: coyotes, rabbits, hares, snakes, red fox, badgers, skunks, weasels, porcupines, etc.

• The use of trail or game cameras. 

• Offroad mechanized travel. 

• Drone use.

• Camping, to include vehicle or tent, and fires.

• Collecting or removal of any wildlife, parts thereof, nests, natural and cultural items.

We ask that you please help make a difference and help protect District lands and your wildlife resources. Please report wildlife violations and suspicious activity any time you see them to an officer. Every set of eyes and tips are helpful to officers. To report a violation, please email NWR_TIPs@fws.gov 24 hours a day or call:

NWR Violation Reporting Hotline: 1-844-FWS-TIPS (397-8477)
State hunting and fishing violations: 1-800-TIP-MONT (847-6668) 

In non-emergency events or for general law enforcement questions, contact the CMR Headquarters (406)-538-8706 and ask to be directed to the officer who works in the area where you have questions. Please be advised that our officers are usually in the field, so leaving messages in their direct voicemail is often the best way to get in touch with one.

Laws, rules, and regulations