U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service employees involved with the management and support of refuges, particularly those in the 0485, 1801, 0486, 0025, and 0401 job series.
Summary and Objectives:
This course is designed to help Service employees develop an understanding of the Refuge Administration Act-the National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act of 1997-to implement its provision in a consistent manner throughout the system.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the historical evolution of the National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act of 1997 and its relation to the National Wildlife Refuge System Administration Act of 1966.
- List and describe the authorities of the Acts for both the Refuge System and the refuge manager.
- Know what other laws commonly complement or affect implementation of the Acts and explain how they impose obligations on refuge management.
- Use the Acts as a framework to describe how the main components guide overall management of the Refuge System.
- Describe how to use the Code of Federal Regulations, policy, and other tools that have been developed from the Acts to implement management actions on refuges.