The National Coastal Wetlands Conservation Grants Program annually provides grants of up to $1 million to coastal and Great Lakes states, as well as U.S. territories to protect, restore and enhance coastal wetland ecosystems and associated uplands. The Program is funded by revenues collected from excise taxes on sport fishing equipment, electric motors and sonar, import duties on fishing tackle, yachts and pleasure craft, a portion of the gasoline tax attributable to motorboats and small engines, and interest on the fund, under the authority of the Dingell-Johnson Sport Fish Restoration Act of 1950.
Eligible projects include the acquisition of real property interest in coastal lands or waters and the restoration, enhancement, or management of coastal wetlands ecosystems.
Source of Funds
Funds for the Coastal Wetlands Conservation Grant are provided annually from the Sport Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund. The Coastal Wetlands Planning, Protection and Restoration Act (CWPPRA) receives 18.5% of the funds in the Trust Fund after deducting amounts for WSFR administration, the Multistate Conservation Grant Program, the Sport Fishing and Boating Partnership Council and fisheries commissions.
The National Coastal Wetlands Conservation Grants receive 15% of the 18.5% for CWPPRA.
The funds deposited into the Sport Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund are derived from excise taxes on sport fishing equipment, electric motors and sonar, import duties on fishing tackle, yachts and pleasure craft, a portion of the gasoline tax attributable to motorboats and small engines, and interest on the fund.
Coastal States receive funding though a national competitive process. State and U.S. insular area fish and wildlife agencies may apply for Coastal Wetlands Grants by contacting the specific WSFR Office or apply online at GrantSolutions.
For More Information
- Pacific Region 1: Oregon, Washington
- Pacific Region 1: Hawaii, Idaho, American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam and the Pacific Trust Territories
- Southwest Region 2: Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas
- Midwest Region 3: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, and Wisconsin
- Southeast Region 4: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Northeast Region 5: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia
- Alaska Region 7: Alaska
- Pacific Southwest Region 8: California, Nevada