Wertheim is actively patrolled by Federal Wildlife Officers whose priority enforcement activities take place on National Wildlife Refuge System lands and waters.
ALL federal, state, and local laws and regulations are applicable on Refuge System lands and waters. Some of the laws specific to the National Wildlife Refuge System, as well as specific refuges can be found in the Title 50 of the United States Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). The Code of Federal Regulations can be accessed here: www.ecfr.gov
Please report all suspicious activity or violations of the law to our Law Enforcement Officer Ruth Robinson at (631) 286-0485 or (844) NWR-TIPS (697-8477) NWR_TIPS@FWS.GOV.
In case of an emergency call 911.
Timely reporting of suspicious activity or violations of the law is important to reducing crime on the refuge. Vigilant refuge visitors are an invaluable resource for crime prevention. When calling in a violation please remember to provide as much information as possible including persons and vehicles involved, what happened and how, and when and where the crime took place. If you have a camera available, and it is safe to do so, please take a picture of the event and share it with us.
For Injured Wildlife Contact:
- NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, (631)-444-0310
- Star Foundation, Middle Island, (631)-736-8207
- Volunteers for Wildlife Rehabilitation & Education Center, Huntington, (631)-423-0982
- Wildlife Rescue Center of the Hamptons, Hampton Bays, (631)-728-9453
- Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation, Riverhead, (631)-369-9840
- Wildlife in Need of Rescue and Rehabilitation, Massapequa, (516)-293-0587
- Stars in the Forest (birds only), Riverhead, (516)-965-9716