Ways to Get Involved
Whether you have just a few hours to give or if you want to volunteer long-term, the Tijuana Slough National Wildlife Refuge has many opportunities for people of all ages to help the environment.
Volunteer opportunities can be found on the Tijuana River National Estuarine Research Reserve's website.
You can also become a supporter and a volunteer of the refuge by joining the Friends of San Diego Wildlife Refuges.
The Tijuana Slough National Wildlife Refuge is committed to building partnerships which encourage conservation and preservation of our natural and cultural resources. Scientifically informed and technologically-based stewardship of our public lands, waters, and wildlife must be collaborative efforts between the Refuge System, other government agencies, and private organizations if conservation efforts are to succeed. The partners in which the refuge works together with are listed below.
- California Department of Fish and Game
- California Conservation Corps
- California Coastal Conservancy
- California Coastal Commission
- California Waterfowl Association
- Living Coast Discovery Center
- City of San Diego
- City of Coronado
- City of Imperial Beach
- City of Chula Vista
- Coast Walk
- County of San Diego
- Earth Discovery Institute
- Endangered Habitats League
- Friends of San Diego Wildlife Refuges
- I Love A Clean San Diego
- Metropolitan Transit System
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Port Tenants Association
- River Partners
- San Diego Association of Governments (Bayshore Bikeway)
- Southwest Wetlands Interpretive Association
- San Diego Audubon Society
- Tijuana River National Estuarine Research Reserve
- Unified Port of San Diego
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- US Department of Transportation, Volpe Center
- US Navy
- US Coast Guard
Tijuana Slough NWR has exciting, hands-on education programs for students as well as tours, informative lectures and other outreach opportunities for adult audiences. In addition to our ongoing programs, the Tijuana Estuary also puts on special events throughout the year, such as "Fiesta del Rio" in September and "International Migratory Bird Day" activities in May. For current schedule and details of all activities, check the TRNERR events calendar.