Found Orphaned or Injured Wildlife in San Diego County?

We often receive phone calls or messages online from concerned individuals asking what to do with an orphaned, injured, or nuisance animal they have discovered. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service does not provide wildlife rehabilitation or nuisance wildlife capture services. Our role is to provide permits to those who rehabilitate endangered, threatened, or otherwise federally protected species, like migratory birds. The best way to help a wild animal is to leave it alone.
Remember: wild animals are still wild and attempting to interact with them can cause harm to the animal or to you. An injured animal is more likely to be aggressive, or it could be ill and carrying disease.

Report an Issue with a Marine Mammal
Live Animal Response:
SeaWorld of California – Phone (800) 541-7325

Dead Animal Response:
NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center – Phone (858) 546-7162
For more information, visit

Injured Hawk or Owl
Sky Hunters - Phone (619) 985-9686

View the Injured Bird Rehab Mapto search for a facility near you. 

Injured, Orphaned, or Help with Nuisance Wildlife
San Diego Humane Society - Project Wildlife Drop-off Center
Pilar & Chuck Bahde Wildlife Center
5433 Gaines St. 
San Diego, CA 92110

Report a Wildlife Crime - Use the FWS TIPs line at 1-844-FWS-TIPS (1-844-397-8477).

Story Tags

Animal health