Swan River National Wildlife Refuge

Our Services


The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country. Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law. Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered Species, Law Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

If you are interested in obtaining a special use permit for Swan River National Wildlife Refuge, please contact the Refuge Manager at 406-564-9890 or amy_lisk@fws.gov.


A pass is not required to visit Swan River National Wildlife Refuge.

Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System website for more information about passes.