Projects and Research

Stone Lakes NWR hosts a number of research projects ranging from partnering with local agencies to college graduate students.  All research projects must go through a Special Use Permit process and be approved by refuge management.

Special Use Permits

Special Use Permits (SUP) enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensures that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. The permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

At Stone Lakes National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, SUP's are required in order to conduct the following types of activities:

  • Biological research
  • Access to areas normally closed to the public
  • Special events
  • Commercial tours or activities
  • Commercial photography or videography 

If you are interested in conducting one of the above named activities on the refuge, we encourage you to contact refuge management at least one month in advance of your proposal to begin the SUP process.

Additional permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered Species, Law Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.  For more information, visit the National Wildlife Refuge Systemwebsite for Special Use Permits. Thank you for helping us protect America's wildlife and wildlands.