FWS and NPS maintenance professionals with little experience with completing electrical, HVAC, and mechanical maintenance tasks.
Summary and Objectives:
This is an introductory course for maintenance professionals about the fundamentals of common electrical, HVAC, and mechanical maintenance tasks they will perform at Service facilities. The course also reviews the core principles and practices of troubleshooting that can be applied to nearly any maintenance task. Students who complete the course will be equipped with techniques they can put into practice immediately to safely improve efficiency and reduce downtime at Service facilities. This is a good starter course for novice maintenance professionals and those who may need a refresher in basic general maintenance skills and preventive best practices within their first seven years in the Service.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Perform a logical and systematic approach to troubleshooting maintenance issues.
- Troubleshoot problems with and perform basic maintenance and repairs on electrical equipment and components.
- Troubleshoot problems with and perform basic maintenance and repairs on HVAC equipment and components commonly utilized at Service facilities.
- Troubleshoot problems with and perform basic maintenance and repairs on pumps, blowers and fans commonly utilized at Service facilities.
- Use basic mechanical equipment and tools.
- Perform preventive maintenance on mechanical equipment.
This class requires the student to provide their own basic PPE and appropriate attire. Training materials and all other safety equipment will be provided.
FWS and NPS employees interested in taking this course must complete the student selection survey by cob November 8, 2023. Students will be selected for the course by a selection team based on their student selection survey answers. Applicants will be notified of their selection status by November 15, 2023. Complete the student selection survey here!
Attention to Detail - basic, Building and Construction - basic, Electrical - basic, Mechanical - basic, Problem Solving - basic, Safety – basic