Join the Team at Kofa National Wildlife Refuge, located in the heart of the Sonoran Desert in Southwest Arizona. Volunteers have the opportunity to connect with visitors and contribute towards conservation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Replace and install sings throughout refuge
- Monitor for wilderness encroachment by vehicles and repair habitat
- Monitor wildlife drinkers
- Restock brochures throughout the refuge
- Record traffic counter data.
- Monitor camper numbers on the refuge
- Be available to assist with special events and interpretive programs
- Wear U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service volunteer’s uniform
- Drive a refuge vehicle
- Greet visitors and provide information about the refuge
- Inform visitors of regulations
If desired, volunteers may also have the opportunity to assist with other refuge duties such as repairing historical cabins, removing invasive weeds, and participating in special events.
Requirements: The RV Volunteer position requires a commitment of 24-30 hours per volunteer per week. Teams of couples are preferred, but not mandatory, we have openings for two teams. Teams must be able to dry camp on the refuge for the entire commitment. The refuge will provide water and a port-a-potty (We are currently seeking volunteers for November 2022 – March 2023, shorter tours can be negotiated)
When applying, please provide contact information for three references. Two references should be professional. If applying as couple, please provide both applicant names.
Kofa NWR is located in the Sonoran Desert at an elevation of approximately 2,000 feet. There are two locations on the refuge where Onsite Volunteers can choose from to camp from, Palm Canyon Road near the information Kiosk and King Valley Road. Locations on the east side of the refuge can also be considered, but it is more remote. The refuge is open to camping year round and does permit hunting following state regulations during state designated seasons. Volunteer(s) receive a “water buffalo” for potable water and a port-a-potty. Propane is also provided. There are no laundry facilities or Wi-Fi available, but there is cell service at the two main camping locations.