Facility Rules and Policies
Tamarac Refuge is a special place established for wildlife. While not a park, there are a variety of ways people can enjoy this habitat and connect with nature.
As visitors, we must understand and respect the following regulations to minimize disturbance.
- Visitor use hours are from 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily.
- Camping and overnight parking is prohibited.
- Collection or disturbing any plant, animal or object is prohibited.
- Nuts, berries and mushrooms may be collected in areas open to foot traffic.
- ATVs, snowmobiles and motorized personal watercraft are prohibited on refuge lands and waters.
- Bicycles and horses are not permitted on refuge trails or service roads. County and township roads may be used. Bicycles are permitted on the wildlife drive, however, horses are not.
- Vehicles are not permitted on the ice. Ice houses must be removed at the end of each day.
- Boating, canoeing and kayaking are permitted only on lakes open to summer fishing and fall migratory bird hunting.
- Blackbird Lake is open to non-motorized boats or electric boat motor use only. Only open spring and summer.
- Swimming, waterskiing, tubing, and motorized personal watercraft are prohibited.
- Fires are permitted only in grills at the Chippewa Picnic Site.
- Possession of firearms or weapons is prohibited in the visitor center and other federal buildings.
- Pets must be kept on a leash or under control at all times.
- Drones (unmanned aircraft) are not permitted on refuge lands.