Facility Rules and Policies
At Cape Romain NWR, we strive to protect our natural and cultural resources and work to ensure that visitors have a safe and enjoyable visit. Please follow all rules and regulations outlined in the refuge brochure when visiting Cape Romain. You can pick up the refuge brochure at our Headquarters, Sewee Visitor and Environmental Education Center, and at the kiosks at Garris Landing and Bulls Island. Signage displaying permitted and prohibited activities are found at Garris Landing and on refuge islands. Become familiar with and follow all applicable state fishing regulations while fishing in refuge waters and, follow all federal and state laws and applications when hunting on the refuge.
All local, state and federal regulations apply on the refuge. General regulations for Cape Romain NWR include the following:
- The refuge is open during daylight hours only, from sunrise to sunset.
- Entering any area posted with area closed signs is prohibited.
- Marsh Island and White Banks Islands are closed to protect nesting birds from February 15 - September 15.
- Camping is prohibited. Camping facilities are located nearby on the Francis Marion National Forest. Call the Sewee Center at (843) 928-3368.
- Pets are not allowed on refuge islands or on the pier at Garris Landing. Pets are allowed in boats in the estuary waterways.
- Bicycles are only allowed on the service roads on Bulls Island. Riding bicycles on the beach or on designated hiking trails is prohibited.
- Fishing from or into the service area docking facilities on Bulls Island is prohibited.