3-200-46: Import/Export/Re-Export of Personal Pets under CITES and / or the WBCA

If you are traveling abroad with a personal pet, you will probably need to obtain a permit if your pet is exotic (not a dog or cat). This is an application for one-time import, export, or re-export of any CITES-listed pet, including birds.  
If you are a resident of the United States and you will be making multiple border crossings, we recommend applying for the pet passport (Form 3-200-64).  

Read more detailed information about traveling with your pet bird.

To Complete This Form You Will Need the Following:

  • If you do not know the origin of your pet, provide a signed and dated statement with a complete description of the circumstances under which you acquired the pet. See the application form for more detail. 
  • For imports, provide documentation that shows you have continually resided outside of the United States for at least one (1) year (from 1 year ago and the most recent month) just prior to submission of this application. (e.g., employment records, utility bills, etc.). 
  • For a variety of situations that require additional permits, copies of those permits should be provided as noted in the application form. 
  • For the export/re-export of a CITES Appendix 1 species, please provide a copy of the CITES Import permit issued by the Management Authority of the foreign country.


To Submit an Application

To submit an application online or through the mail, follow the instructions on our ePermits site.


Animal Owner/Pet Owner
ePermit ID