3-200-64: Certificate of Ownership for Personally Owned Wildlife "Pet Passport" under CITES

If you are traveling abroad with a personal pet, you will probably need to obtain a permit if your pet is exotic (not a dog or cat). This application is used to request a passport-like certificate for a single animal (one pet per application). 
Your primary residence must be in the United States (i.e., residing the majority of the year in the United States) to be eligible for this certificate. Certificates cannot be re-issued if the pet is currently outside the United States; therefore the pet must return to the United States prior to the expiration of the certificate. Certificates issued are typically valid for three years, and are intended for multiple border crossings.

If you are interested in obtaining a single permit for multiple animals without needing multiple crossings, or are intending to move your pet overseas permanently, please use application form 3-200-46

To Complete This Form You Will Need the Following:

  • Documentation demonstrating the history of transactions [e.g., chain of ownership of pet(s)]. If you do not know the origin of your pet, provide a signed and dated statement with a complete description of the circumstances under which you acquired the pet. See the application form for more detail.
  • For a variety of situations that require additional permits, copies of those permits should be provided as noted in the application form. 


Submit an Application

To submit an application online or through the mail, follow the instructions on our ePermits site


Animal Owner/Pet Owner


ePermit ID