Ways to Get Involved

Seasonal Internships

Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge offers seasonal internships to college students. The staff typically begin looking at applications in February.Current openings for internships will be posted below. In the past, internships have been offered in the following areas:

  • Wildlife: This internship involves assisting with bird (landbird, waterfowl, loon), amphibian, bat, small mammal, and other wildlife surveys.
  • Botany: Identification of terrestrial and/or wetland plants is the focus of this internship. This includes going out in the field to survey vegetation and gather specimens for the refuge herbarium.
  • Forestry: Intern conducts timber cruises, helps develop forest habitat management plan, uses GIS, GPS, aerial photo interpretation.
  • GIS: Helps develop Refuge GIS, collects data with GPS, produces maps, aerial photo interpretation; assists with Refuge resource planning.
  • Nature Interpretation: This internship assists with developing wildlife-related educational materials for the public, leading tours, environmental education, greeting visitors, helping to plan the Umbagog Wildlife Festival, and assisting with public use surveys.
Current internship opportunities:

There are no positions available at this time. Please check back later. 

If you are interested in volunteering to satisfy college internship requirements, please contact us. Depending on project interest and staff availability we can accommodate specific interests. Call, write, or e-mail the refuge office with questions or for additional information at:

Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge
P.O. Box 240
Errol, NH 03579
(603) 482-3415


Volunteers play a vital role in helping the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service fulfill its mission of conserving, protecting and enhancing America's fish and wildlife and their habitats. Volunteers can perform a variety of different tasks, such as:

  • helping with wildlife surveys
  • providing information to the general public
  • leading tours
  • assisting in special projects
  • assisting in habitat modification
  • photography
  • maintenance

Anyone may volunteer, although if you are under 18 years of age you must have written parental approval. To apply as a volunteer at Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge please send a letter or e-mail telling us your name, address, phone number, what you would like to help out with, and any skills or previous knowledge of the subject.

Education Programs

The Youth Conservation Corps (YCC), is a summer employment program for young men and women ages 15 through 18, who work, learn, and earn together on projects that further the development and conservation of the United States. The three objectives of the program include:

  • To accomplish needed conservation work on public lands
  • To provide gainful employment for 15- through 18-year-old males and females of all social, economic, ethnic and racial backgrounds.
  • To develop in participating youth an understanding and appreciation of the nation's natural environment and heritage.

What are the requirements for enrollment?

  • Be at least 15 years of age, and not have reached 19 years of age during the term of employment.
  • Be a permanent resident of the United Stated or its territories or possessions.
  • Have a social security number, or have applied to obtain one.
  • Have a desire to work in the out-of-doors and become involved in the development and maintenance of the Nation's natural resources.
  • Have no history of serious criminal or anti-social behavior that might create safety problems.
  • Be able to participate in the various work and training projects of the YCC program. Handicapped youth who with reasonable accommodations can perform the essential functions of the YCC program are also eligible.
  • Have a work permit as required under the laws of the State in which the program will be carried out.
  • Be able to obtain parental or legal guardian consent to enroll in the program.
  • Be able to provide the proper type and amount of work clothing, such as long sleeved shirts, jeans, work boots.

What will enrollees be paid?

Enrollees will be paid the federal minimum wage unless stated with a higher minimum wage, in which case they will be paid the higher rate. The week of activities will consist of five 8-hour days.

How may youth apply for YCC?

Apply Online! 


Phone: 802-723-6551 ext. 304

Email: corps@northwoodscenter.org