Facility Rules and Policies
There are lots of fun, interesting, and educational things you can do on the refuge. Keep in mind, if an activity is not wildlife related and doesn’t help in the protection or understanding of wildlife or their habitat, there are probably refuge rules governing this activity. Please check with the refuge management before participating in an activity that could harm the environment or yourself. There are plenty of activities at Umbagog for you to enjoy. Be safe and have fun!
- Refuge outdoor facilities are open daily, ½ hour before sunrise to sunset, unless otherwise posted.
- Dogs are welcome on the refuge only when on a leash (except for approved hunting activities).
- During all hunting seasons, it is recommended that trail users wear fluorescent orange.
- Take only pictures on the refuge, don’t collect natural objects, damage, or remove them from their place in the environment.
- Smoking is not recommended while on the trails or in other natural areas of the refuge.
- Fires, swimming, sun-bathing, camping, kite-flying, and off-trail use (except for authorized hunting, fishing, and trapping activities) are prohibited.
- Notify the staff in the refuge headquarters if you notice something that is unsafe or poses another problem on the refuge.