Laws and Regulations
General Refuge Rules
- The Refuge is open from sunrise to sunset, 365 days of the year.
- The speed limit is 25 mph unless otherwise posted.
- Legally licensed motor vehicles are allowed only on Refuge roads open to the public.
- Unlicensed off-highway vehicles (OHVs) may not be used anywhere on the Refuge.
- Off-road vehicle travel is prohibited.
- Wildlife observation, photography, hiking, walking, jogging, bicycling, and other similar activities are permitted only on roadways, the Thomas Ranch Watchable Wildlife Area, and in parking areas that are open for public use.
- Dogs must be under the direct control of a responsible person at all times.
- Stopping and parking is allowed only in designated parking areas or on the road shoulder. Please be mindful of other visitors and do not block access to roadways, parking lots, or kiosks.
- Fires and fireworks are prohibited.
- Camping or overnight parking, including RVs, is prohibited.
- Target shooting, including using air rifles and archery equipment, is prohibited.
- Persons possessing, transporting, or carrying firearms on National Wildlife Refuge System lands must comply with all provisions of State and local law. Persons may only use (discharge) firearms in accordance with Refuge regulations (50 CFR 27.42 and specific refuge regulations in 50 CFR Part 32).
- Recreational boating and swimming are prohibited.
- All plants, animals, rocks, and cultural artifacts are protected. Molesting, disturbing, injuring, destroying, or removing any plant, animal, rock, or cultural artifact, other than animals legally taken during the refuge hunting season, is prohibited.
- Takeoff or landing of any aircraft including drones or unmanned aircraft systems is prohibited.
- Littering is prohibited. Litter can cause harm or death to wildlife. Please help keep your Refuge beautiful and protect wildlife by taking all trash and personal belongings with you when you leave!
- Fishing is prohibited. For information on fishing in Utah, please visit the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources website at http://wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/main-fishing-page.html
- Mule deer, pronghorn, waterfowl, chuckar partridge, mourning dove, and cottontail rabbit hunting are permitted in accordance with both federal and Utah Division of Wildlife Resources regulations and bag limits in designated areas. Please visit the Fish Springs NWR Hunting brochure for hunting specific rules and regulations.
Federal Register Notices, Laws, Treaties, and Regulations List
This list may not be all inclusive.