Wildlife observation opportunities are best in the early morning or late afternoon hours, when animals are foraging for food.
Waterfowl Observation Periods
- Canada geese and trumpeter swans start arriving in mid-March;
- Ducks start arriving in early April;
- May through mid-June is the best time to observe ducks,when their colorful spring plumage makes identification easier;
- Goslings can be observed as early as the first week in May,and ducklings as early as the third week in May;
- Peak fall populations of Canada geese and ducks occurs from late-September through October.
Other Popular Viewing Opportunities:
- Sandhill Cranes: April 25–May 5 and September 25–October 10
- Franklin’s Gulls: May 1–July 15
- Warblers: May 15–25
- Sparrow species: May 15–25
- Shorebirds: May 20–30 and August 15–September 15
- Moose Calves: May 15–June 15
- Moose Rut: September 15–October 31