The Coastal Barrier Resources Act (CBRA) requires the Secretary of the Interior to review the maps of the(CBRS) at least once every 5 years and make any minor and technical modifications necessary to reflect changes in the size or location of the CBRS unit as a result of natural forces (16 U.S.C. 3503(c)). The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) collaborated on a “digital conversion” project that fulfilled this 5-year review requirement and produced updated maps for most of the CBRS that were adopted between 2014 and 2016.
Please note that through the digital conversion project, the Service could only consider proposed changes to the draft maps that are consistent with its administrative authority to modify the CBRS boundaries which is limited to: (1) changes that have occurred as a result of natural forces such as erosion and accretion; (2) voluntary additions to the CBRS by property owners; and (3) additions of excess Federal property to the CBRS (16 U.S.C. 3503 (c)-(e)). Other requests for changes to the CBRS could not be considered under this project.
The digital conversion project was conducted in four batches. The digital conversion schedule was based on FEMA’s schedule for coastal flood hazard mapping and other factors. Several states (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and the Long Island portion of New York) did not go through the digital conversion process as they are part of a separate mapping project related to Hurricane Sandy. Learn more about the Hurricane Sandy CBRS Remapping Project.
Batch 1 - Delaware, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Texas
Set of 87 final revised maps, dated December 6, 2013.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Draft Maps (78 FR 53467, August 29, 2013)
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Final Maps (79 FR 21787, April 17, 2014)
Batch 2 - Maps for Maine, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, and Virginia
Set of 118 final revised maps, dated August 1, 2014.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Draft Maps (79 FR 33207, June 10, 2014)
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Final Maps (80 FR 25314, May 4, 2015)
Batch 3 - Maps for Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York Great Lakes, Mississippi, Ohio, and Wisconsin
Set of 202 final revised maps, dated January 11, 2016.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Draft Maps (80 FR 71826, November 17, 2015)
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Final Maps (81 FR 13407, March 14, 2016)
Batch 4 - Maps for Louisiana, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands
Set of 65 final revised maps, dated November 15, 2016.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Draft Maps (81 FR 70130, October 11, 2016)
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of Final Maps (81 FR 90375, December 14, 2016)