This application covers activities involving the import of live African elephant (Loxodonta africana) from Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe and Southern white rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum simum) from Eswatini and South Africa. The African elephant is listed as threatened under the U.S. Endangered Species Act with a special rule (50 CFR 17.40(e)) and the Southern white rhino is listed as threatened due to similarity of appearance (50 CFR 17.52). The Service must make both an enhancement finding as well as a determination that the importing facility meets the CITES “appropriate and acceptable destination” annotation.
To Complete This Form You Will Need the Following:
- Source of specimen (captive-bred specimen or wild specimen).
- Signed and dated breeder’s statement or other appropriate documentation depending on the source of the specimen.
- Documentation demonstrating that the importing facilities meet the appropriate and acceptable designation requirements.
- Documentation demonstrating that the proposed activity will enhance the propagation or survival of the species.
- Qualifications and resumes of the staff responsible for the care and husbandry of the specimens at both the sending and receiving institutions.
- Please note in addition to obtaining this permit for your proposed activity, for any commercial activity you will need to obtain an import/export license from our Office of Law Enforcement.
Submit an Application
To submit an application online or through the mail, follow the instructions on our ePermits site.
Application Processing Fee