Laws and Regulations
Designated trails and parking areas are open to public access. The west side of the Refuge is open year-round from sunrise to sunset (closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day). The east side is open seasonally from May through September, Tuesday through Saturday from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
To protect wildlife and habitat, visitor access is limited to designated trails only. All other Refuge lands are closed to visitor entry.
Please Enjoy these Wildlife Related Recreational Activities:
- Wildlife observation.
- Wildlife photography.
Prohibited activities and uses include, but are not limited to:
- Hiking off designated roads and trails.
- Motorized vehicles off designated roads.
- Pets and other domestic animals (dogs, cats, horses, etc.).
- Parking in undesignated areas and overnight parking.
- Abandonment of wild or domestic animals.
- Launching, landing, and operating aircraft (model aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles / drones).
- Possessing and discharging fireworks.
- Discharging of firearms or other weapons.
- Disturbing, injuring, and damaging wildlife and plants.
- Searching for and removal of any object (plants, wildlife, natural objects, mineral, antiquities, etc.).
- Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Possession or consumption of marijuana and any illegally controlled substance and associated paraphernalia.
- Commercial photography and motion pictures.
- Camping, tents, and building of structures.
- Abandonment of personal property and littering / dumping.
- Use of boats, canoes, kayaks, float tubes, paddleboards, and other floatation devices on Refuge waters.
- Walking or skating on ice.
- Swimming, wading, and bathing in all Refuge waters.
- Campfires and grills.
For more information, call Refuge Headquarters at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge at 303-289-0232.
To Report Violations on Federal Refuge Lands: dial 1-844-397-8477 or email FWS_TIPS@fws.gov.
To Report Emergency / Medical / Fire: dial 911. For non-emergency calls: dial 303-277-0211