November 5-6, 2014

Falls Church, Virginia

General Information:

  • Please refer to the Federal Register Notice for more details and registration information.
  • Transportation is available to the FWS HQ office via 2 shuttles from the Ballston and Pentagon City Metros.  Parking is available at the FWS HQ for $20/day. 
    • Shuttle schedule
    • Directions and parking information 
    • Restaurant List
  • If you do plan on attending, please send an RSVP by October 24 to  I look forward to seeing all of you in a few weeks.  Please contact me if you have any questions.

Hotel Information:

  • Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Shirlington (703-820-0440)  - The hotel provides free shuttle service to and from Washington National Airport, Pentagon City Metro and to the USFWS HQ Office for the ANSTF Meeting. 
  • Hampton Inn Pentagon south 4800 Leesburg Pike  (703-671-4800) - shuttle service to and from King Street Metro
  • Homewood Suites Alexandria 4850 Leesburg Pike  (703-671-6500) - shuttle service to and from King Street Metro


The ANSTF Meeting will be held at:

U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Lucille Stickel Conference Room (1W108)

5275 Leesburg Pike

Falls Church, VA 2204

Wednesday, November 5

8:00-8:30 AMRegistration
8:30-8:40 AMWelcome from Co-chairs/Housekeeping 

(David Hoskins, Assistant Director, Fish and Aquatic Conservation

Peg Brady, Acting Co-Chair and Senior Policy Liaison to the NISC & ANSTF)
8:40-8:45 AM(#1) Self Introductions (name and agency)
8:45-8:55 AM(#2) Adoption of Agenda, Approval of Minutes,  Review of Previous Action Items

Action items from the May 2014 meeting:
  • Put Model Legislation on ANSTF Web Site
  • Provide a link to Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration (WSFR) resources on the ANSTF website
  • Provide a WSFR briefing at the Fall 2014 Meeting
  • AFWA has expressed an interest in expanding Caucus membership and communicating proactively.

    Erika Jensen offered to assist. Those interested in the ANSTF Outreach Committee should contact

    Doug Jensen or Elizabeth Brown.
  • Outreach Committee will look at evaluating the effectiveness of SAH! And Habitattitude.
  • Craig Martin will set up a webinar with ABYC to discuss the Boat Design Workshop proposal and funding need.
  • Members interested in helping with NISAW contact Chris Dionigi
  • Explore alternatives to the term Asian carps. Discuss at the next meeting?
  • Laura Norcutt will let the members know when the website issues are corrected (expert database links).
  • Bill Bolen and Kelly Baerwaldt will work with the FWS Communications Branch to enhance the

    eDNA Clearinghouse Proposal and present results at Fall 2014 meeting for ANSTF approval for the ANSTF

    website to host the eDNA Clearinghouse
  • Provide comments on Pathways Diagrams to Stas Burgiel by June 30, 2014. Send copies to ANSTF.
  • Stas Burgiel will provide the Climate Change Report to the ANSTF and request comments by July 31, 2014. 

    Send copies to ANSTF.
  • The joint ANSTF Prevention Committee will determine best way to approach working with industry to develop

    Fracking BMP’s. (Interested include MAP, EPA)
    • Check to see if USCG is interested in participation
  • Ballast Water Workshop Report will be posted on ANSTF website.
  • ANSTF Panels need to let Laura know what vacancies exist on their respective Panels. Laura will

    follow-up to determine strategy about how to move forward.
  • NOAA will work with the WRP to provide information on the Pacific states tunicate workshop.
  • Provide comments on Lionfish Plan to James Ballard by June 8th, 2014.
  • MRBP and MICRA will send out info for Diploid/Triploid Grass Carp report webinar information.
  • Report to Congress
    • Provide accomplishment reports to Susan Pasko by June 10
    • Review draft report by end of July
    • Refine report and develop outreach plan with Congressional and communications folks (Peg offers to host)
8:55-9:10 AM(#3) Discussion: FY14 ANSTF Budget Overview

(David Hoskins, FWS)
9:10-9:40 AM(#4) Discussion: AIS Grants from the FWS, Wildlife and Sport Fisheries Resources Program Briefing

(Christy Vigfusson, Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration Program, Branch of Programs)
9:40-10:00 AM(#5) Informational: Nutria Eradication Project Status 

(Bill Wilmoth, USDA, APHIS)
10:00-10:20 AMBREAK
10:20-10:40 AM(#6) Informational: QZAP Update

(Dave Britton, FWS/John Wullschleger, NPS/Tom McMahon, Arizona Game & Fish

Elizabeth Brown, Colorado Parks and Wildlife)
10:40-11:00 AM(#7) Discussion: Border Security and What Comes Through Ports

(Tamesha Woulard, FWS
11:00-11:20 AM(#8) Informational: OIT Project and WebCrawler tool

(Erika Jensen, GLC)
11:20-11:45 AM(#9) Discussion: Building Policy Consensus in the West: Update on Development of Model Law and Regulations

(Stephanie Showalter Otts, National Sea Grant Law Center)
11:45-12:00 PM(#10) Informational: Addressing AIS Issues at Federally-managed Water Bodies

(Stephanie Showalter Otts, National Sea Grant Law Center/Craig Martin, FWS)
12:00-1:30 PMLUNCH
1:30-1:50 PM(#11) Informational:  Ballast Water Update 

(John Morris, U.S. Coast Guard)
1:50-2:10 PM(#12) Informational:  Vessel General Permit Update 

(Marcus Zobrist, Environmental Protection Agency)
2:10-2:30 PM(#13) Informational:  2011 Japanese Tsunami Marine Debris (JTMD) Update 

(James T. Carlton, Williams College)
2:30-2:50 PM(#14) Discussion:  Summit on Boat Construction in Consideration of AIS 

(Brian Goodwin, ABYC)
2:50-3:10 PMBREAK
3:10-3:30 PM(#15) Informational: Communication Committee Update

(Elizabeth Brown, Colorado Parks and Wildlife/Doug Jensen, MN Sea grant via teleconference)
3:30-3:50 PM(#16) Informational: Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers! Update

(Craig Martin, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)
3:50-4:10 PM(#17) Discussion: Plans for Revitalizing Habitattitude

(Marshall Meyers, Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council)
4:10-4:20 PM(#18) Informational: ANS Hotline Update

(Don Maclean, FWS)
4:40-4:45 PMPublic Comment
4:45 PMAdjourn

Thursday, November 6

8:00-10:00 AM(#19) Informational: Member Updates (5 min. each)
10:00-10:20 AMBREAK
10:20-10:40 AM(#20) Decisional: National Invasive Lionfish Prevention and Management Plan

(James Ballard, Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission)

Decision - The ANSTF approves the National Invasive Lionfish Prevention and Management Plan.

Yes   __________          No   __________   Additional Action   __________
10:40-11:00 AM(#21) Discussion: Lionfish in Florida-Florida’s initiatives and potential next steps

(Kristen Sommers, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, via webinar
11:00-11:10 AM(#22) Informational: Updates on Climate Change Report and Pathway Management Plan Guidance

(Stas Burgiel, NISC)
11:10-11:15 AM(#23) Discussion: Hydraulic Fracturing for Gas Development as an AIS Pathway

(Stas Burgiel, NISC)
11:15-11:35 AM(#24) Informational: Update on Implementation of Invasive Species efforts under the National Strategy

for the Arctic Region, and for the broader Pacific

(Phillip Andreozzi, NISC)
11:35-11:45 AM(#25) Informational: ANSTF Involvement with National Invasive Species Awareness Week

(Phillip Andreozzi , NISC)
11:45-12:00 PM(#26) Discussion: ANSTF Report to Congress

(Susan Pasko, NOAA)
12:00-1:30 PMLUNCH
1:30-1:40 PM(#27) Informational: Tunicate Workshop Report

(Elizabeth Brown, Colorado Parks and Wildlife)
1:40-1:45 PM(#28) Informational: Minnesota Seeking Success Stories and Lessons Learned from other States to Help

Guide County-Level AIS Funding

(Don MacLean – USFWS)
1:45-2:45 PM(#29) Informational: Panel Updates (10 min each)

1:45-1:55 Mid-Atlantic Regional Panel

1:55-2:05 Great Lakes Regional Panel

2:05-2:15 Northeast Regional Panel

2:15-2:25 Gulf and South Atlantic Regional Panel

2:25-2:35 Western Regional Panel

2:35-2:45 Mississippi River Basin Regional Panel
2:45-3:10 PMBREAK
3:10-4:20 PM(#30) Decisional: Panel Recommendations

Mid-Atlantic Panel:
  1. MAP recommends that the ANS Task Force request that federal agencies continue fiscal support for

    nutria eradication on the Delmarva Peninsula and in VA and NC to complete this project and protect the

    significant investment already made.

Great Lakes Panel:

  1. While funding issues have been discussed at recent ANSTF meetings, we believe further action and immediate

    restoration of $10,000 to each of the regional panels is essential.

Northeast Panel:

  1. Recommendation to the Aquatic Nuisance Species Task Force to restore at least $10,000 to each of the

    regional panels

Western Regional Panel recommendations:

  1. Panel funding: Provide increased financial support to the panel(s).
  2. QZAP support: Continue to provide funding to support highest priority implementation components of QZAP.

Joint Panel Recommendations from WRP and GSARP:

  1. Request Government Accounting Office (GAO) to provide and updated economic study on the impacts of marine

    and freshwater AIS (plants, animals and pathogens).
  2. Explore funding models similar to Sport Fish Restoration program or an industry consortium to fully fund panels

    and state plans.
  3. Re-authorization of National Invasive Species Act/Non-indigenous Aquatic Nuisance Prevention and Control Act.

Joint Panel Recommendations from WRP and MRBP:

  1. Provide additional funding to the USGS Nonindigenous Aquatic Species (NAS) information resource to track the

    occurrences and distribution of aquatic invasive plants in the U.S. The USGS, through the NAS system, should be

    recognized as the lead organization to track the occurrence and distribution of aquatic invasive plants and animals

    in the U.S. Adequate funding is requested to enable the USGS to reinstate monitoring, reporting and mapping of the

    occurrence and distribution of aquatic invasive plants. This work was previously performed by the USGS but in recent

    years has been limited to invasive aquatic animals due to inadequate funding.

Gulf and South Atlantic Regional Panel Recommendations:

  1. The GSARP and WRP recommend that the ANSTF ask the Government Accountability Office to provide an updated

    economic study (“Federal and Selected State Funding to Address Harmful, Nonnative Species” 2000 on marine and freshwater AIS.
  2. The GSARP and WRP recommend that the ANSTF explore alternative funding models similar to the Sport Fish Restoration

    program or an industry consortium to fully fund panels and state plans.
  3. The GSARP and WRP recommend that the ANSTF does everything in its power to support and expedite the re-authorization

    of NISA.
  4. The GSARP recommends that the ANSTF sends a letter in support of the Environmental Law Institute’s efforts to host the

    “Halting the Lionfish in Texas” workshop. Attached you will find a letter of support that I drafted for the Panel. It would have

    to be modified to reflect that it was now coming from the ANSTF.

Mississippi River Basin Panel Recommendations:

  1. Provide assistance to obtain more panel membership from private industry.
  2. Provide additional funding to the USGS Nonindigenous Aquatic Species (NAS) information resource to track the

    occurrences and distribution of aquatic invasive plants in the U.S.
  3. Permanently fill the vacant Aquatic Nuisance Species Task Force Executive Secretary position.
  4. Provide support and funding for the development of tools needed for eDNA monitoring of black carp and snakehead.
4:20-4:25 PMPublic Comment
4:25-4:30 PM(#31) Meeting Summary

(Laura Norcutt, FWS)
4:30 PMAdjourn