U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Coastal Barrier Resources System
Ecological Services

Property Determinations for Federal Flood Insurance

Within the Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS), most new Federal expenditures and financial assistance, including Federal flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), are prohibited. Click here for more information on the prohibition of Federal flood insurance within the CBRS.

What is a Property Determination?

A "CBRA property determination" is a determination made by the Service of whether or not a specific property is located within the CBRS. The Service's determination is based upon materials provided by the requester and the CBRS map of the area. The Service's response contains an in/out determination and the prohibition date for Federal flood insurance if the property is located within the CBRS. This information is often used by the insurance agents and the NFIP to determine the Federal flood insurance eligibility of the property in question. All interested parties should check the CBRS mapper first to see if the property may be located in the CBRS. If the property is located in the buffer (hatched) area depicted in the mapper, the Service will provide an in/out determination upon request.


What Materials are Required for a Property Determination?

In order for the Service to make a property determination, the requester should submit a valid address along with any additional documentation necessary to help the Service positively confirm the location of the structure. Such documentation may include the following: a map showing the location of the property, a property record card, survey, deed, and/or elevation certificate.

Who do I Contact for a Property Determination?

Effective October 1, 2017, all interested parties, except insurance agents, should submit property determination requests directly to the Service’s Headquarters Office at CBRAdeterminations@fws.gov. Insurance agents should send requests for CBRA determinations to the NFIP Direct Servicing Agent, or NFIP Write Your Own insurer to whom the application for flood insurance coverage is being made. The insurer will send the request to the NFIP Bureau, who will in turn submit the case to the Service for an official determination.

Relevant FEMA links (including questions regarding flood elevation certificates and flood zones):


Frequently Asked Questions

More information about CBRA property determinations may be found in the Coastal Barrier Resources Act Property Determinations Process Fact Sheet (PDF) and Coastal Barrier Resources Act Property Determinations Process FAQs (PDF).
Last updated: April 16, 2018