Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery
Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery was constructed in 1975, making it one of the newest in the federal hatchery system. With an annual budget of $1,200,000, this station produces approximately 1 million brown, brook, cutthroat and rainbow trout weighing 275,000 pounds every year. Fish are stocked into over 100 different public fishing waters in cooperation with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. The majority of the fish are stocked in waters managed by the federal government. No private waters are stocked.
- Provide brown, brook, cutthroat and rainbow trout for mitigation stocking in Kentucky and Indiana.
- Provide brown, brook and rainbow trout to the Commonwealth of Kentucky under a reimbursable agreement.
- Provide a refuge for and propagate several threatened or endangered aquatic species. Develop techniques required to culture these species.
- Assist tribal governments in managing fisheries resources on tribal lands by providing rainbow and brown trout.
- Implement a thorough, perennial hatchery product evaluation program.
- Maintain Visitor/Environmental Education Center.
- Provide environmental education.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with chambers of commerce, tourist commissions, Trout Unlimited and other agencies to promote regional support for the fish hatchery.
- Maintain a Friends Group, Friends of Wolf Creek NFH, Inc. to gain community support for the fish hatchery.
Public use opportunities
- Visitor/Environmental Education Center
- Self-led hatchery tours during business hours
- Scheduled group hatchery tours
- On and off-site presentations
- ADA accessible fishing area
- Nature Explorer hiking trail
- Fishing events
Hours of operation
Wolf Creek NFH is open 7 days a week, 364 days a year (closed only on Christmas). Daily Visitor/Environmental Education Center hours:
- Jan – Apr: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm CST
- May – Oct: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm CST
- Nov – Dec: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm CST
ContactWolf Creek National Fish Hatchery
50 Kendall Road
Jamestown, KY 42629
Phone: (270) 343-3797
Fax (270) 343-2874