Laws and Regulations

Learn more about the refuge and hunting rules and policies


Permits are assigned daily on designated waterfowl hunt days (Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays within regular season). Deer hunt permits are by lottery and can be applied for by application through Michigan E-License or a DNR License Agent. Contact us for more details byemail: or phone: 989-777-5930.

General special use permits are needed for after-hours access, special access to closed areas or uses not expressly permitted. Please address these special use permit questions to the refuge byemail: or phone: 989-777-5930.

Colleges and Universities: For those wishing to conduct any research, inventory or monitoring projects on the refuge please address special use permit questions and applications to the wildlife biologist.

Rules and Regulations

Special rules and regulations for Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge can be found in the Visit Us - Rules and Policies section.

The Migratory Bird Conservation Act authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to conduct investigations and publish documents related to North American birds, and establishes a Migratory Bird Conservation Commission (MBCC) to approve areas recommended by the Secretary for acquisition. The MBCC...

The Refuge Recreation Act of 1962, with subsequent amendments, authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to administer refuges, hatcheries and other conservation areas for recreational use, when such uses do not interfere with the primary purpose for which these areas were established.