Caribbean Ecological Services Field Office
The Caribbean Ecological Services Field Office was established in 1974. We strive for ecosystem sustainability through preservation, conservation, enhancement, and restoration of habitats essential for the long-term viability of the fish, wildlife, and plants in the Caribbean.
The field office emphasizes an ecosystem approach incorporating Strategic Habitat Conservation to address and prioritize habitat issues through partnerships with other federal, state and local agencies, conservation organizations, private landowners, and citizens to achieve the greatest possible benefits to fish and wildlife. We promote healthy wildlife and their habitat through a diverse group of programs: Endangered Species, Partners for Fish and Wildlife, Contaminants Program, Coastal Program and Project Evaluation.
- Promote strategic conservation to protect, conserve and enhance wildlife and ecosystems
- Work cooperatively with private landowners to restore and protect wildlife habitat
- Protect endangered species through the administration of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in cooperation with other federal agencies, commonwealth and territorial agencies and nongovernmental organizations
- Manage the Puerto Rican Parrot Recovery Program and lead the interagency working group
- Conserve wildlife and wetland resources by evaluating and recommending modiﬁcations of projects proposed for Federal construction, funding or authorization.
- Evaluate impacts of contaminants on trust resources and aid in remediation of impacts and restoration of habitats and resources.
- Develop partnerships with federal, commonwealth and territorial agencies, organizations and citizen groups to understand climate change impacts on ﬁsh and wildlife resources and their habitats.
- Assist private entities, U.S. Virgin Island and Puerto Rico governments to evaluate and address potential impacts to wildlife from energy projects, including natural gas pipeline construction and wind farms.
The Caribbean ES Office services Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Our main office is located in Boqueron and the Puerto Rican parrot aviary is in Rio Grande.
Caribbean Ecological Services Field Office, Boquerón
Mailing addressP.O. Box 491
Boquerón, PR 00622
Physical addressRoad 301 Km 5.1
Boquerón, PR 00622
Puerto Rican Parrot Recovery, Ecological Services Sub-Office, Rio Grande
Mailing addressP.O. Box 1600
Rio Grande, PR 00745
Physical addressRoad 191, Kilometer 4.0
Río Grande, PR 00745