Facility Rules and Policies

Welcome to your wetland management district wetland management district
A wetland management district is a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service office that manages waterfowl production areas in one or more counties. Waterfowl production areas are small natural wetlands and grasslands that provide breeding, resting and nesting habitat for waterfowl, shorebirds, grassland…

Learn more about wetland management district
. District lands are open every day for you to discover new places to hunt, fish, take pictures, watch wildlife, pick wild edibles (for personal use), trap, hike, cross-country ski and snowshoe.

Hunting, fishing and trapping seasons generally follow state seasons and regulations. Please consult the wetland management district headquarters at 952-854-5900 if you have questions. We may post additional site-specific regulations.

To ensure your safety and protect wildlife and habitat, please be aware of these regulations.

General Restrictions

  • Access to district lands are open from 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sunset unless otherwise posted
  • Camping, open fires and overnight parking are prohibited
  • Pets must remain on a 6-foot or shorter leash at all times and off-leash training of any kind is prohibited
  • Drones may not launched, landed or flown over the district, including personal or commercial use, without a special use permit
  • Do not enter areas signed as closed. For access information related to hunting, visit our hunting information web page.
  • Hunting is permitted in season, and refuge regulations supersede state regulations.

We prohibit

  • Target shooting
  • Training pets and allowing pets off leash
  • All types of motorized vehicles on all refuge land (including on frozen bodies of water) except on designated parking areas, access roads and public roads
  • Drones (UAVs) taking off, landing and/or flying on or over district lands
  • Launching, landing or disturbing of wildlife by aircraft (includes drones) on the district. This includes for recreational or commercial purposes.
  • The use of a spotlight, headlight or other artificial light to spot, locate or take any wild animal

Additional Information

Special-use permits may be issued for compatible secondary uses upon approval of the district manager. Contact the district headquarters for application information at 952-854-5900 or by email MinnesotaValley@fws.gov.