Skip to main content
Facility Rules and Policies
- Refuge hours are from sunrise to sunset, except for hunting—hunting access is 1-1/2 hours before legal hunting hours to 1-1/2 hours after legal hunting hours (see below).
- The refuge is closed to all public entry during the winter season—the end of the state waterfowl season (usually the end of January) through the last day of February.
- The use of unmanned aircraft or drones on the refuge is prohibited.
- Camping and fires are prohibited year-round.
- Hiking is allowed in all areas open to the public. Please stay out of closed areas to minimize disturbance to plants and animals.
- Horseback riding and bicycling are permitted on designated public access roads during the spring and summer season (March 1 through September 30).
- Fishing and boating are allowed as per state and U.S. Coast Guard regulations March 1 through September 30.
- Firearms and other weapons are subject to state law. At all times, persons possessing, transporting, or carrying firearms on the refuge must comply with all provisions of state law. Firearms may only be discharged in accordance with refuge hunting regulations, i.e., only during the lawful pursuit of game during legal seasons.
- Other prohibitions on the refuge are dogs off-leash; off-road vehicles; and collecting of plants, animals, minerals, antlers and artifacts.
- No trapping of any kind is allowed on McKay Creek NWR.