3-200-34: Export of American Ginseng (CITES) (Multiple Commercial Shipments)

This application is used to request authorization to export multiple commercial shipments of artificially propagated or wild-collected American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) overseas. For single shipments of American ginseng (i.e., sending gift boxes containing ginseng to individuals overseas), submit application 3-200-32 for Export / Re-Export of Plants and Plant Products under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)).

Master File

This application establishes a Master File for artificially propagated or wild-collected American ginseng.  For artificially propagated American ginseng, the Master File is valid for 3 years. For wild-collected American ginseng, the Master File is valid for 1 year. Master Files for both artificially propagated and wild-collected ginseng are renewable upon  expiration. Please note that for wild-collected ginseng, a separate Master File is required for each harvest season. Once the Master File is approved, it will be used to create, at your request, any number of single-use permits. These single-use permits are identical, other than the permit number, will contain the specific information identified in the Master File, and will be valid for 6-months. Each time you export, your shipment must be accompanied by one of these unique documents. In order to request permits from an established Master File, you will need to complete application 3-200-74.

To renew or amend an existing Master File, locate the Master File you wish to renew or amend, select it, then choose the renew or amend button.

You must wait for a Master File to be established, renewed, or amended, prior to applying for individual, partially complete permits. You will be notified that your Master File is valid so you can apply for the permits associated with your Master File.

Additional information about Ginseng

To Complete This Form You Will Need the Following:

  • A list of State(s) or Tribal lands from which ginseng was/will be harvested 
  • Approximate number of pounds and type of ginseng root you plan to export
  • A copy of your valid State ginseng dealer’s license(s) or permit(s) authorizing you to deal in ginseng (if uncertain, check with your State)  
  • A copy of your valid Federal USDA Protected Plant Permit
  • Please note in addition to obtaining this permit for your proposed activity, for any commercial activity you will need to obtain an import / export license from our Office of Law Enforcement. If you are a U.S. entity apply here. For foreign entities apply here.

U.S. Entities Apply Here

Foreign Entities Apply Here


Submit an Application

To submit an application online or through the mail, follow the instructions on our ePermits site

Need to submit your annual report?

Application Processing Fee

  • $200 Establishing a Master File for artificially propagated ginseng 
  • $100 Renewal of an established Master File for artificially propagated ginseng 
  • $50 Establishing a Master File for wild ginseng 
  • $50 Renewal of an established Master File for wild ginseng 


ePermit ID