Facility Rules and Policies
On all waterfowl production areas (WPA), we prohibit:
- Target shooting
- Training and allowing pets off leash
- All types of motorized vehicles on WPAs (including open or frozen bodies of water) except on designated parking areas, access roads and public roads
- All types of motorized watercraft (to include gasoline and electric)
- Camping, campfires and overnight parking including designated parking areas
- Abandoning, discarding or otherwise leaving any personal property. All property brought onto a must be removed at the end of each day. This includes all common items like vehicles, boats, decoys, trail cameras, blinds, geo-caching items, photography equipment, portable stands, climbing sticks, ice fishing shelters and trash.
- Destructing, defacing, disturbing or unauthorized removal of any natural object or government property
- Introducing, liberating or placing plants or animals on waterfowl production areas
- Disposing of animal carcasses, trash, refuse, rocks, wood or other debris
- Cutting, mowing, sawing, digging, collecting, injuring or removing vegetation
- Launching, landing or disturbing of wildlife by aircraft (drones) on a waterfowl production area is prohibited. This includes for recreational or commercial purposes.
- Commercial enterprise without a special use permit
Waterfowl production areas are open to hunting per state regulations unless specifically prohibited in the district specific regulations below:
- Small game hunters using shotguns, including turkey hunters, are required to use and possess only non-toxic shot
- During the small game season, hunting dogs must be under the immediate control of the hunter
- Hunters must wear an article of blaze orange or pink consistent with state regulations
- We prohibit constructing or occupying permanent stands or blinds. We also prohibit the use of nails, wire, screws or bolts to attach a stand to a tree or hunting from a tree, into which a metal object has been driven to support a hunter. Portable hunting stands must be set up and removed each day.
- We prohibit the use or possession of alcoholic beverages while hunting
- We prohibit distribution of feed or bait or hunting over bait. This includes salts and minerals.
Waterfowl production areas are open to trapping per state regulations unless specifically prohibited in the district.
Waterfowl production areas are open to fishing per state regulations unless specifically prohibited in the district specific section below:
- We prohibit all types of motorized vehicles on WPAs, including open or frozen water.
- You may not use a spotlight, headlight or other artificial light to spot, locate or take any wild animal in a
- The above information is a partial list of rules and regulations. Consult the Detroit Lakes Wetland Management District public use brochure for more details.
- Special-use permits may be issued for compatible secondary uses upon approval of the district manager. Contact the district office for application information at 218-847-4431.