We allow pet walking only on the Perimeter Levee Trail. Pet walking is not permitted at the visitor center, Cypress Swamp Boardwalk, along Lee Road, or at the A, B, and C impoundments.
- Pets must be confined or on a leash no longer than six feet at all times.
- Locations where pets are permitted include: Pets are allowed in attended vehicles, on watercraft, boat ramp parking lots, and the Perimeter Levee Trail.
- Pets are not permitted at the visitor center, Cypress Swamp Boardwalk, along Lee Road, or at the A, B, and C impoundments.
- Pet owners must promptly and properly dispose of their pet’s waste.
- Visitors may bring no more than two pets per person during their visit.
- Pets may be restricted in some areas during events, or due to management-related activities.
- Animals that are not permitted on the refuge include: unconfined domestic animals, animals listed by the state or federal government as Nonnative, Conditional, or Prohibited Species or Injurious Wildlife.
- These rules and regulations do not impose restrictions on Service Animals.
- View additional regulations on our Rules and Policies page.
National wildlife refuges are places where wildlife come first. Please help protect wildlife and their homes by respecting refuge rules and regulations. If a high number of reports of negative pet-wildlife or pet-people interactions are reported, the refuge may restrict or eliminate pet visits.
Failure to respect the Refuge regulations and your fellow visitors can result in a citation and fine: 50 CFR 26.21(b) and/or 50 CFR 27.51(a). As well as impoundment and/or destruction of the animal: 50 CFR 28.43.