The Valley City is one of two national fish hatcheries responsible for providing quality fishing opportunities in North Dakota and throughout the Great Plains Region. Valley City was originally built for bass and bluegill production. The hatchery site was purchased on July 26, 1938 from the State of North Dakota for the sum of $1.00. Construction was started in 1938 and completed in 1940.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the lead federal agency responsible for stewardship of the nation’s fish and wildlife resources. Although there are some fisheries that can be maintained through natural reproduction, most fisheries today cannot keep up with existing fishing pressure and habitat changes. National fish hatcheries can provide fish necessary to meet the growing needs of the resource and the angler.