Laws and Regulations
Service animals (those that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability; the task(s) performed by the service animal must be directly related to the person’s disability) are allowed in all areas of the refuge that are open to the public, including refuge parking lots, roads, and trails.
Pets (non-service animals) are not allowed on the refuge.
- Firearms are prohibited.
- Overnight parking is prohibited.
- Drones are prohibited.
- Fireworks are prohibited.
- Use of motorized vehicles is prohibited. Motorized vehicles disturb wildlife, cause erosion, disturb other refuge visitors, and shatter the tranquility of the refuge.
- Jogging, bicycling and horseback riding are not allowed on refuge trails. These activities may disturb visitors and wildlife and erode trails.
- It is against the law to damage archaeological sites or remove artifacts such as old bottles or arrowheads on the refuge. Please help protect sites by leaving artifacts in place and reporting locations to refuge staff.
- Marijuana on Federal Lands: regarding the use and possession of marijuana on Federal lands, possession of marijuana or use of any amount of marijuana along with all other Schedule I illegal drugs is still prohibited in Shawangunk Grasslands NWR (Federal lands) to include but not limited to its facilities and lands. Violations are punishable by a fine or imprisonment, or both, 50 CFR 27.82 (b)(2), 16 U.S.C. 551, 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571.