Facility Rules and Policies
There are a few simple rules you can follow to protect habitat and keep San Diego Bay National Wildlife Refuge a safe place for wildlife and people.
- Dogs are not allowed on Sweetwater Marsh. However, dogs are allowed on the Bayshore Bikeway trail on a leash only, at all times.
- Camping, open fires, and fireworks are prohibited.
- Hunting is not permitted.
- Launching, landing or disturbing of wildlife by aircraft (drones) is prohibited as stated in 50 CFR 27.34/27.51
- No horses, all terrain vehicles, motorcycles, or dirt bikes are allowed on the bike trail or refuge.
- Disturbing or collecting any plant or animal is prohibited.
- Looking for and/or collecting artifacts is not allowed.
- San Diego Bay National Wildlife Refuge should be a quiet place to enjoy nature--leave fireworks, loud radios, and other sound equipment at home.
- Swimming, personal watercraft (i.e., jet ski) and water skiing are not allowed on the refuge.
- Take all litter with you.
Any activity conducted off-trails on the San Diego Bay NWR is illegal unless approved by the Refuge Manager. In order to conduct scientific research, or any other activity off-trail, please call (619) 221-3473.