Facility Rules and Policies
Enjoy exploring and recreating in your National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge is open from sunrise to sunset.
To ensure healthy habitat and sustainable natural resources for your continued enjoyment, and to ensure visitor safety, the following are rules and prohibited activities:
- Hunters must abide by Louisiana state regulations. All hunters must read, sign, and have in their possession a signed copy of the Mandalay National Wildlife Refuge Hunting and Fishing Regulations.
- Airboats and marsh buggies are not allowed on the refuge.
- The use or possession of alcoholic beverages while hunting is prohibited.
- Non-toxic steel shot must be used in shotguns.
- Frogging or the taking of turtles is not allowed on the refuge.
- Possession or distribution of bait while in the field, and hunting with the aid of bait, including any grain, salt, minerals, or any non-naturally occurring food attractant, is not allowed.
- Cutting, removing, or damaging vegetation is prohibited.
- It is illegal to operate unmanned aircraft on refuge property without a special permit. (*A drone flight may be permitted occasionally for research or resource management purposes). If a drone operator stands beyond refuge boundaries and flies the vehicle over the refuge, fines can be levied if the drone is observed disturbing wildlife.
For a complete list of refuge use rules and regulations refer to the refuge Hunting and Fishing Regulations brochure here.