Laws and Regulations
Great River National Wildlife Refuge is open to public use during daylight hours only. Refuge hunting and fishing regulations are in accordance with Missouri and Illinois state seasons and regulations, with a few exceptions specific to the refuge. For more information on limited activities, please check the public use regulations brochure or call the refuge before your visit.
Important regulations to remember:
- Off road vehicle use is prohibited
- Hiking is allowed on refuge roads unless otherwise posted
- Berry and mushroom gathering are permitted for personal consumption only. These items shall not be used for any commercial use.
- Pets must be on a leash, except when used for the purpose of hunting where hunting is allowed
- Collection of shed antlers on the refuge is prohibited
- Camping, trapping and the taking of turtles or frogs are prohibited on the refuge